Friday, September 24, 2010

Gen Y are we scared of Thy ?

The hottest topic around the HR and HR scene is about Gen Y and how in the next 3-5 years they are going to enter into the workforce and change the organization, How to work with Gen Y is the Million dollar question and the ISTD student convention is aptly titled “Leading in Gen Y”

As One of the speakers Usha Devaguptatu rightly said Gen Y are like the the David Ogilvy quote “The consumer is not a moron,she is your wife” The employee is also not a moron but neither is he a threat.

The Convention has been very good in the fact that it has thrown light into the areas what are required to “collaborate” with Gen Y. This is essential as the recent Harvard Business Review talks about these crunch issues

• One out of every three high performers is not engaged
• One in every four high performers feels their aspirations are not met
• One out of every five high performers is doing a job which does not interest them
• Four out every ten high performers are not in sync with the vision and value of the company they are a part of


These sort of issues need a top down solving approach and it cannot be solved overnight and other key area where Indian Organizations miss out is a strong Induction system so that the people can relate themselves to the organization

And as a member of Gen Y I can strongly relate to the facts like “Work to live not live to work”. I look at the value I can add to the organization and what the organization can do for me, If they cannot reward me instantly I would try to find out someone who will reward me. I want learn things by doing it and not reading about it, But that does not mean am standalone I need a team I need a coach I need support I need a peer section together with me I need to be looked after I need my personal life.

We all have wants and immediate gratification and Gen Y looks at ways to fulfill and not have the “chalega” attitude. We want the horse to drink water and gulp it down.

I wanted to blog about this fantastic event event and am doing it right now :)

Jai ho Gen Y


IndiBlogger - The Indian Blogger Community

No comments:

Thank you for reading my blog

Thank you for reading my blog